Saturday, January 9, 2010

White Chili

With the daily high temperatures running between 25 and 30 degrees below normal for the last 8 days, a bowl of hot Chili sounded good today. White Chili is a mild chili that Lynne makes fairly often. I used the ingredients shown in the photo below, plus a few things that missed the photo op.
A pound or so of ground turkey, a small onion, half a green pepper, a stalk of celery, a couple of garlic cloves or the equivalent, a small can of diced green chilies, and a can of Great Northern beans, or your favorite white bean. Salt, pepper, a half teaspoon of paprika, a generous teaspoon of cumin and about a cup of chicken or vegetable broth. (The local Winn Dixie grocery store sells white chili spice mix -- I've never tried it.) Some cayenne pepper or chili powder would spice it up more. I like it mild. I chop the veggies, then saute them -- along with the drained green chilies -- in olive oil over medium to medium-low heat until transparent, adding salt and pepper as I go. I then add the turkey, cooking it until the turkey is completely done and the juices have mostly evaporated. Next I drain the can of beans, and add them to the turkey mixture. Finally, I toss in the cumin and paprika and lots of pepper. Maybe some seasoned salt. I added about a cup of broth at this point, reduced the heat to low, covered the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes or so. Tasted it. And as they say, adjusted the seasonings.

While I was waiting for the spices to soak into the turkey and beans, I gathered up some garnishes. Sour cream, any shredded cheese, and the family recipe guacamole are good with this. Some corn chips are good too.
If the chili is too thick, I add some more chicken or veggie broth. Then I throw in a handful of the shredded cheese to thicken it back up a bit.
See, it really needs the garnishes. This amount made plenty for the two of us, with enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

2 comments:

Emily M said...

Looks quite yummy, I may have to try it this weekend. An excellent dish to ward off the freezing cold of a MN winter.

Retired Professor said...

It is yummy. Lynne commented via email that she now uses a regular size can of "diced tomatoes with mild green chilies" instead of just the green chilies, and that she occasionally adds a can of white corn (drained) to it, as well. I think you'd need more cumin and spices if you add more ingredients.

Sorry about the freezing cold stuff. But at least there was Las Vegas.