Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another Classic Sandwich

Remember liver sausage sandwiches? A childhood staple when we lived on the Saw place.
I'm not sure that I got all the ingredients right. Liver sausage, also known as Braunschweiger, of course. Mustard. Some processed cheese and dill pickles. I'm doubtful about the tomato, to be honest. But I was planning to eat this, so some liberties were taken.
Yeah, the bread is the wrong color. But both butter and mayonnaise (Miracle Whip, I'm sure) were almost certainly involved. Explains a lot, doesn't it? (Don't eat the plastic stuff.)

3 comments:

The non-retired professor said...

Is Braunschweiger/liver sausage the same thing as liverwurst (which is what we had growing up)? If so, I am now hungry for it (sans pickle and tomato and cheese--we ate very bland in those days).

santini said...

Non-RP,

This is what Wikepedia has to say on the subject. So I'm thinking that yes, they are the same thing.

"Braunschweiger is a spreadable liver sausage that is sometimes called liverwurst, or just liver sausage, in North America."

T. Tousan said...

You probably need the real butter. The margarine in those days was white with those little buttons in the middle that you could squeeze and massage until the white turned yellow.

I used to eat those sandwiches quite a bit but sans pickle and tomato. I'm not hungry for them. I could stand some guacamole, however. TT