Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beef brisket with sauerkraut

I was at Cub looking for one of those boneless pork loin roasts. I was a little disappointed that the ones they had were not as good as the ones I am used to seeing there but they did have a nice looking beef brisket.

I was looking in Joy of Cooking for basic beef brisket preparation directions and came across a recipe for beef brisket with sauerkraut. It looked easy.

The recipe specified a large Dutch oven (that means French oven where I live) which I do not have. I do happen to have a very nice and quite large stainless steel pan with a tight fitting cover. I was pretty sure that my pan would, while not being true to the Joy of Cooking recipe, work just fine.I started off with the kraut. One of the first things that has to be done after starting the beef is to cover it with the drained kraut and two cups of boiling broth. I drained the kraut to measure how much juice was in there and then boiled about half of the kraut after adding a cup of broth to bring the amount of liquid up to two cups. I saved out half of the kraut because I prefer my kraut cool instead of hot, crisp instead of cooked. The saved kraut will be added back in to my portion after every thing else is cooked.

The recipe said 3 tablespoons of oil, to me that means a bunch, I used olive oil. The recipe also said that it is plenty OK to brown 1/4 cup of chopped onions. To me that means about that many, I hope I was close.Add the meat to the pan, cover with the kraut and broth, add an apple, cored and quartered. I went off recipe and went ahead and added the rest of the onion, quartered because I know how much TOPWLH likes her cooked onion.Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.Easy.I see absolutely no reason why the same recipe wouldn't work just fine for that pork loin roast I was looking for in the first place.

3 comments:

TOPWLH said...

This looks delicious! Too bad I was teaching last night. I will comment on the actual taste after lunch.

TOPWLH said...

The most delicious brisket (or just about any other meat dish) I have ever tasted! Four stars.

Santini said...

I like Joy of Cooking. And I am very fond of brisket. I'll have to try that recipe. I've done something very similar with pork shoulder roast, but without the saurkraut. It looks tasty.