Monday, January 15, 2018

Boxing Day

I made this on Boxing Day.  This was so good that it has a definite chance to become a Boxing Day tradition.
We do not have the exact correct pan and rack combination for this but the roast fits into one of the pans that we do have and I just spread a few carrots on the bottom of the pan in lieu of a proper rack to lift the meat off the bottom.

Remove meat from refrigerator about two hours before cooking is to begin.

Preheat oven to 550.

No liquid.

Place roast in oven, immediately reduce heat to 350.

Roast 18 to 20 minutes to the pound for medium rare.

Increasingly as I mature I subscribe to the use of a meat thermometer.  A thermometer really does give better results than just guessing.  130 for rare, 140 for medium.  Remove from oven and let it rest for long enough to finish other preparations.

For information purposes I note that the pictured piece of meat cost about $45.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like meat now and then (actually almost every time I have it) and this was exceptionally delicious.

Santini said...

Cut of meat?

It looks delicious.

Gino said...

That's a rib roast, often commonly called prime rib.

On Boxing Day, if I recall correctly, we had mashed potatoes. I think any potato would go really well. Just lately we are diving back into baked potatoes. Baked potatoes throw off a really healthy vibe as you shovel them into the old pie hole. I think we also had asparagus, another very healthy feeling ingestible.

Emily M said...

That looks delicious.