Sunday, December 27, 2009

Quiche for Christmas

First, Merry Christmas to one and all! I was responsible for the Christmas morning brunch, so I decided to go with one of my fall back, no fail dishes - Quiche. Here's how it starts:

The bowl on the left is a mix of eggs and 1/2 & 1/2, then the fillings I chose for the two separate quiches.

Step 2: Put the filling into the quiches. Quiche #1 (right) was broccoli, red pepper, and cheese. Quiche #2 was ham, onion, and cheese.

Me, putting filling in quiche number 1. Note my extremely large Twins Tshirt from the best sporting event I've ever been to.

Step 3: Add the egg mixture to the quiches until the come up to the top of the crusts.

Gracefully poured by yours truly. Or something. Special thanks to my photographer.

Here they are, ready to put into the oven:

Finally, bake them for about an hour or so.

Don't they look lovely? I think everyone enjoyed them. Here's the recipe for those who are interested:

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 3/4 cup half & half
salt
pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 ounces grated swiss cheese
4 ounces grated mozzarellla cheese
1 pre-made pie crust (I like the refrigerated ones from Pillsbury)

Equipment: 1 pie or quiche pan

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (Sometimes I also add a little garlic salt. Up to you).
3. Place the pie crust in the quiche/pie pan. Add any filling (ham, broccoli, etc.) and the cheese.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the filling.
5. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat in the oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until crust in golden and the filling is set/no longer runny.
6. When set, take out of the oven and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Gino said...

Egg pie.

Umm, umm good.

Santini said...

Nutmeg is the surprise ingredient. They sound yummy. I definitely will try these. I suspect they would go well with fresh squeezed orange juice. (I like the quiche pans -- nice, elegant touch.)

Santini said...

Pillsbury makes frozen pie crust as well as the refrigerated kind? I didn't know that.

Emily M said...

GFR - It is actually the refrigerated crusts from Pillsbury that I like, oops. I'll change the entry now. In any case, they are in a red box and come in packs of two. They work just fine if you don't have time to make Kelsey's homemade crust.

The Not Retired Professor said...

BTW, didn't anyone (Santini) notice the Toast-R-Oven? Previously we used a GE toaster oven that evidently was in the newlywed household of a GE employee and his wife prior to Mr. Moohoo's attaining it. We used it for 30 years but it finally wore out. It has been predicted that the new one will not last 30 plus years.
Stay tuned.

gfr said...

Black and Decker purchased GE's small appliance business. The more things change, the more they remain the same.