Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Toasted cheese sandwich and homemade Navy bean soup

Today's hearty lunch after cleaning up the mess left by the first big snow storm of the year.I had some Velveeta left from the last time so I prepared a toasted cheese sandwich following the old family recipe with the exception that this time I only had actual bread instead of the cheapest white bread in town.

Yesterday while out and about I stopped at Roundy's and got a one pound package of ham steaks and a one pound bag of Roundy's Navy beans.

Prepare Navy bean soup more or less according to Roundy's package directions. Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, the directions call for about an hour and a half.

Hold the onions out until near the end so they don't overcook. I think they should go in after about an hour. Also add some carrots and celery at this same time.

Season with a 30 year old bay leaf and Sel Marin Ile de Noirmoutier, French sea salt from Ile de Noirmoutier. Here is how you get to the island, the Passage du Gois at low tide. When the tide comes in the sea rises and covers the road. If you are unwise enough to be out there when that happens you must take refuge on that tower next to the road and wait for the sea to recede.And this would be an excellent place to acquire the ingredients for the soup, the town market in the village of Noirmoutier.Anybody want to go to France?

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

It's certainly soup weather. Is that the same bean soup that you made at the beach the summer that Tom and Darilyn were there? I've been thinking about that one, but I thought there were tomatoes in it? It was red beans and ham, I'm pretty sure. Good food for being snowbound.

BDE said...

Yes, but do you want to go to France?!
I want to go to Norway also, but then I guess I'd have to post a recipe for lefsa. And maybe I'd have to retire and become Retired Professor II.
Am I making any sense? Class tonight and lots of committee work today. Are retired professors or retired land and mineral lawyers on any committees? I thought not.

gfr said...

BDE-- The catch is that retired professors can't afford to go to France. I think that it would be better to go to Norway during the summer months, when there's light there.

I gave up committee work when I semi-retired, about 10 years ago. Best idea I ever had.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.