Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sausage Potato Roast

As mentioned elsewhere on the tubes, I made an attempt at a sausage & potato roast a week or so ago. For a first try it wasn't so bad but I wanted to perfect it a bit before I put it on the blog. Tonight was my second attempt and I think it turned out well, so here goes:

Step 1 - Start out with some potatoes. I had Yukon Gold and some new red potatoes, so I used those:

Step 2: Cut them up in to bite size pieces and put them in a baking dish. Add some olive oil to coat them (not too much) and some salt and pepper. Then put them in a 400 degree oven to bake for about 20 minutes:

While the potatoes are baking, take out the rest of the ingredients. Sausage, about one whole sausage per person (I got pork/garlic/shallots from our local specialty butcher. YUM!), half an onion (color of your choice), and a package of mushrooms.

Cut up the onions and mushrooms then, after 20 minutes, add all of this to the potatoes. Nestle the sausages down in the middle. Cook for 20 more minutes and then turn the sausages. Cook for still 20 minutes more or so and everything should be done and look fantastic, kind of like this:

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Retired Professor said...

It looks quite tasty. I love this kind of roasted vegie process ... I'd probably add some galic cloves if I did it ... roasted garlic smells so good.

Gino said...

Hmmm. White handled knife.

It looks very good. Can I get my sausage on a stick?

Emily M said...

Sylvia - Normally I would have added garlic, but these particular sausages had plenty of garlic to go around.

Gino - One of many such knives, actually... And I didn't have any sticks available, so no.

gfr said...

This one could get into the rotation. I've never thought of adding meat/sausage to any of the roast vegetable things that I do. (Roasted veggies are popular in NZ.)

Emily M said...

gfr - The key is getting the timing right so everything finishes at the same time. Potatoes/onions/mushrooms are pretty easy to figure out, but it can vary depending on the type of sausage/meat. Times for adding stuff may need to be adjusted.