Sunday, October 18, 2009

Authentic school day lunch

The bell rings sometime in the 1950s in Van Dyke elementary school on the shore of Trout Lake in Coleraine, Minnesota. It is time for lunch.

It is a short walk across the park and up the hill home. It is a small town, nearly everyone in town lives close enough to school to go home for lunch if they choose to do so.

Here are the ingredients of a very common, very familiar school day lunch. We're getting ready to have a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. Mmmm, mmmm, good.We mostly purchased food at Shoemaker's Red Owl. Red Owl stores were franchised by Gamble-Skogmo, remember Gambles Hardware stores? The rights to the Red Owl brand were later acquired by SuperValu. SuperValu still operates chains of grocery stores in several markets, including this one. The local SuperValu grocery chain, the successor as it were to Red Owl, is Cub Foods. I went to Cub and bought the cheapest white bread available, the house brand pictured above, Cub Foods Giant White ($1.69 for a pound and a half loaf). My recollection is that Taystee was the bread of choice in our house but Taystee wasn't available in the local Cub and I believe that if Taystee was not available in the 1950s that we most likely would have gone with the cheapest white bread available, most likely the house brand. I believe that my choice of bread is a choice of an authentic bread.

That is also, obviously, authentic cheese. Actually, of course, it's not cheese, it's not even processed cheese or even processed cheese food. It is processed cheese product, less than 51% cheese. I think I was probably at least college age before I ever even considered the idea that Velveeta wasn't "cheese". It sure was cheese where I lived.Butter, not margarine. You have to remember to leave the butter out for a while so that it will be soft enough to spread. I forgot and used the modern method of a microwave oven to produce spreadable butter.Here's one of the few tricky bits. You have to butter the second piece of bread after you have placed the sandwich in the pan for grilling. Note that the soup has already been started. The soup is authentic as well. Again, it seems to me that I was college age before I even noticed that there were brands of soup other than Campbell's. In another bow to authenticity I used a can of water with the can of soup concentrate. TOPWLH reports that in her house they often actually used what the can directions list as an alternative, milk. We never did that that I can recall.Those looking carefully will no doubt observe that TOPWLH declined complete authenticity, requesting that her sandwich be made of sunflower whole wheat bread and actual cheddar cheese. I think she just doesn't recognize what a wonderful opportunity she passed up.

Over easy, it won't be long now. It is a bit tricky when doing only a sandwich or two to get the first couple done properly without burning. TOPWLH had a sandwich that was a trifle dark but she pronounced it OK.Voila, lunch. I was pretty sure that authenticity called for the sandwich to be cut into two pieces but I had a hard time deciding whether the cut should be diagonal or longitudinally across the middle. I settled on the diagonal cut but seeing the picture now it just doesn't seem quite right. I have a vague memory of big halves and small halves of the sandwiches.So, how was it?

It tasted very, very familiar. Familiar is not necessarily a bad thing.

A final note, it isn't very authentic at all, actually. The 1950s was a simpler time, a time when people lived on farms and produced healthy food products for all of us to eat. Today is, of course, the day of agribusiness and the corporate welfare program known as corn subsidies. I am not sure it is true and I am not going to do the research right now but I have heard it said and personally believe it to be true that the largest receivers of "crop support payments" are Archer Daniels Midland and Cargill, the corn giants.

Today's quiz: Guess which of the products pictured above includes on the ingredient list "high fructose corn syrup".

17 comments:

Santini said...

I read headlines from your post out loud to the assemblage here this evening (Nancy and crew), and it sparked a heated debate over whether tomato soup is properly made with milk or water. Oddly, Nancy and I were on different sides of the arguement.

Another nostalgic post.

I haveno clue which product uses the dreaded high fructose corn syrup. I would guess the cheese like product, but have no real knowledge.

Tennis Tousan said...

My memory is often flawed, but I remember the tomato soup being made with milk rather than water. Since my youth was spent in the same environment as yours, I'm beginning to doubt my long term memory. In any case, my adult preparation of tomato soup has always used milk.

In any case, the lunch looks pretty tasty. In my adulthood, I have not had Velveeta grilled cheese, but I think I'll give it another try.

I'm guessing that the tomato soup contains the dread "high fructose corn syrup." TT

santini said...

For what it is worth, OSLO makes it with water, claiming that it has always be done this way. I make it with milk, making the exact same claim. Or I did, prior to this post.

Gino said...

Probably the senior sibling is going to have the deciding vote but based on the prompting here I am still going to go with tomato soup is made with water. I now vaguely recall milk swirling around in the can but I believe that when milk was involved the product was referred to as "cream of tomato soup". To my recollection plain tomato soup (with water) was the normal recipe.

The second ingredient of the tomato soup, after tomato puree, is high fructose corn syrup. HFCS also comes in alarmingly high on the ingredient list for the bread, coming about sixth, right after water. Neither of the dairy products is sweetened.

Pearl said...

We are referring to Velveeta as dairy, now?

Sister Suzy said...

Just one more and I'll shut up. You got the sandwich 'spot on.' Except that I remember calling them toasted cheese sandwhiches, not grilled cheese? Anybody? P'Doodle? P'Noodle?

Tennis T. said...

I also remember "toasted" vs "grilled." I think that there were times when a slice of bologna was added to the cheese before the "toasting" to enhance its flavor, perhaps. Or maybe that was an adult modification. I now often add grilled onions to the cheese before grilling. TT

Gino said...

I totally agree, toasted is the correct nomenclature. This is one of the distinct advantages (to me) of having older siblings.

Santini said...

Where's the KoolAid pitcher?

Emily M said...

9 comments?!? Who knew this would be so popular.

I have the at-work-kitchen variation on this lunch all the time - we have a sandwich maker and two microwaves. I make do, and it's delicious.

I do buy healthier bread. And actual cheese. I'm sure both the soup and the bread still have HFCS in them though... Corn is in EVERYTHING.

Gino said...

That would very clearly be 10 comments. And now 11.

Somebody do something with Kool-Aid.

Retired Professor said...

Gino -- There are multiple other authors here.

It was a very fun post, I must say.

The Kool-Aid thing can wait.

Jimi said...

I'd hate for there to be 13 comments, but I can do Kool-Aid. Open envelope of your favorite flavor (cherry), add the requisite amount of sugar and water from envelope directions. Stir. Drink. TT

Emily M said...

TT - Not that I drank a lot of Kool-Aid as a child, but I always preferred the pink lemonade variety.

And now there are 14 comments instead of the unlucky 13... :-)

Gino said...

I was always partial to the green Kool-Aid myself. Kudos to JQ for an accurate rendering of the preparation process.

15.

Santini said...

Raspberry.

16.

GPT said...

Senior sibling weighing in....

I thought I had settled this question but it seems that my post went awry. It must be prepared with whole milk or some heavier dairy product. As children, it was the milk from the Red Owl store or from the lovely beasts of Dick's ranch. An adult innovation has been using half-and-half or cream. With water, I will not even take the time to taste it. Sorry.