Friday, October 23, 2009

Blueberry Pie

I apologize to one and all for 'double posting.' Kelsey requested my blueberry pie recipe, and this seemed to be an easy way to get it to her. Hey, what's a food blog for?

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Ingredients:

4 or 5 cups of blueberries, fresh or frozen* (it is the size of your pie tin that will determine how many cups of berries you need.)*If using frozen berries, allow berries to thaw before assembling pie.
For this amount of berries:
1/2 cup sugar (3/4 cup if you have a deep dish pie pan and are using 6 cups of berries.)
1/3 cup all purpose flour (1/2 cup for ..... you get the idea.)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but I like it)(1 full teaspoon for ...)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 or 2 tablespoons of butter
Pastry for a two crust pie.

Method:

Mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon together in a bowl large enough to hold the berries, stir in berries.
Line a pie pan with the bottom crust. Pour the blueberry mixture into the crust. Sprinkle with lemon, dot with butter. Top with the second crust. Generously prick or cut slices into the top crust. Flute edges. Or whatever you do with your pies. Just be sure the top and bottom crusts form a pretty good seal because this can get messy, depending on how juicy the berries are.
Put pie into 450 degree oven. I put a piece or two of aluminum foil on the shelf underneath the pie -- not on the same shelf -- to catch drips. (Oven cleaning is no fun at all.)

Bake for 10 minutes. Only. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Bake for about 40 more minutes. Or until the pie crust looks thoroughly brown.
Some people say that it is good to put an aluminum foil edging around the pie to protect the crust edge from getting too brown, removing it for the last 15 minutes. Personal preference here. I like dark brown crusty edges, myself.
I'm not well known for my blueberry pie, as I make it rarely. My Mother apparently made the best blueberry pie in the family, and that must have been some good pie, as all of the sisters were very good bakers. As was their Mother, Hansine.

6 comments:

Jimi said...

I don't think there is a double posting rule and certainly no need to apologize. The only rule has to do with singing at the table.

Thanks for posting the recipe. Now Kelsey can get back in the good graces of her dad - as if that was ever a problem. TT

Santini said...

TT -- I doubt that the Princess was ever really worried about it.

The recipe I use is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but it is probably different in some details from how Mom made her famous blueberry pie. I remember the stove in Grandma Anderson's kitchen was a wood burning stove, so temperature control was not likely to be exact. Being an excellent baker under those conditions must have been an art form.

GPT said...

Yes, it must have been. And it seemed that mom was considered the de facto maker of blueberry pie at the Anderson villa.

Daughter of Norway said...

I finally made the blueberry pie! And the Tousan has not yet tried any...though he may have blogged about it. It looks great, but I made the crust with brown rice flour and put gluten-free flour inside the pie, so Adam could eat some, but the texture may be iffy.

Thanks for the post!

Retired Professor said...

I hope the gluten free flour will work as a thickening agent, which is why the flour is in the pie. Another choice for thickening fruit pies is cornstarch, which may be gluten free.

Retired Professor said...

Kels -- I Googled corn starch and it is gluten free. I hope the pie is good -- it certainly looked yummy on your Dad's blog.