Monday, October 12, 2009

Feta Fish

I believe that there is a request for the recipe for Feta Fish. It is really more of a process than a recipe, but here it is. Ingredients: Tilapia, or some other mild whitefish. (TT and I made it for the first time with grouper.) Olive oil, seasoned pepper and feta cheese.Late edit: If you line the pan with tin foil (aluminum foil for you young 'uns), clean up will be much easier. Process: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread a little olive oil on a cookie sheet. (Remove frozen fish from the plastic, or use fresh fish.) Place the fish fillets pretty size up and drizzle with olive oil. Season generously with seasoned pepper. (It doesn't need salt, as the feta cheese is a little salty.) Top each piece of fish with a generous tablespoonful of feta cheese. Or a little more, or a little less, depending on how you're feeling in the moment. Bake for about 20 minutes. (Or 10 if you're using fresh fish.) It should look like the photo below when it's done. Watch it so it doesn't overcook. (This is probably just a touch overcooked, but it was very good.)
Leftovers make good sandwiches for lunch the following day. If you like it, thank TT. He ordered feta grouper at a restaurant in Florida, and we decided to try making it ourselves at the house later in the week. Tonight we had it with brown rice and green peas (not creamed) left over from Friday.
For dessert I tried Emily's recipe for Opal's Apple Crisp. It was excellent! I used Honey Crisp apples, and added just a sprinkling of nutmeg along with the cinnamon. TOPWEH also liked it. He is used to my recipe for apple crisp which has brown sugar in it, but until I told him that it was Opal's he didn't notice the change of ingredients.
The crust is crunchy, which is one of the things I like best about Apple Crisp -- it should be crisp, right? The Honey Crisp apples didn't hold their shape too well, but the flavor was sweet and tart. It's apple season in Michigan -- just past, really -- so there are a lot of good apples available locally at this point. Thanks, Emily.



5 comments:

Emily M said...

I'm glad the apple crisp was a success! I love the crunchiness of the crust/topping too. Also, thicker apple slices hold their shape better in my experience, but I enjoy it when it sort of all falls apart.

I think I'm due for some feta fish. Maybe this weekend...

Jimi said...

Thanks for the feta fish credit, but especially for formalizing the process. I cannever seem to remember how long to cook it. I think I'm due for some feta fish. There is sone tilapia in the freezer. TT

Anonymous said...

Yum. Both the feta fish main course and the apple crisp look delicious! My mom Opal will be proud when I share this post with her.
Just one suggestion for the feta fish: add fresh lemon (squeezed over and then laid on the sheet before cooking). TOPWLH does that and I enjoy the addition of lemon a lot.
BB

Retired Professor said...

How long to cook it is a variable. The pieces I used tonight were smallish, and I cooked them from a frozen state fo 20 minutes. 16-18 would probably have been enough. Really big fillets can take 25 minutes. We've eaten a lot of this together -- it's a shame that orange roughy got so expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hey mom,

I love this new web site. I am thinking I may need to try some of these recipes. They sound soooo scrumptous. Yum!!!!! I may have to see if I can not come up with something myself to add.

OSLO