Monday, October 26, 2009

Other Food Related Stuff

This isn't about a recipe. It is about food, though. I have had a bag of this sitting around (in my refrigerator) since early summer. I bought it for COTU/N's chocolate chip cookie recipe, which uses part white and part whole wheat flour. I still have a lot of it left, and it has an expiration date on it of November 18, 2009. Other than Emily/Barbara's Cranberry bread, I have no other use for whole wheat flour that I know of. Not exactly a dilemma, but it has been on my mind. So, I read the back of the package. It had a recipe for whole wheat bread. Reasonable enough. I have been thinking about making something yeasty for a while, now -- much like I occasionally take a bike ride with a blog post in mind, I now find that I occasionally cook something with this blog in mind. I'm not sure that this is a good thing. Anyway, Gino's discussion some while back (it must have been in the comments -- I can't find it to link to it) about buns and Sloppy Joe's got me thinking about the old bun recipe. I don't have it. Andy is on Facebook, so I asked him - Wall to Wall, as it were. He didn't have it on him, but was willing to check at home. Tula (or Rosemary, as she calls herself on her Facebook page) had the recipe which she had gotten from Mavis. Tula/Rosemary posted it to me on Facebook, I got it on my g-mail. Life has gotten very strange -- or technology rules, one of those. However, that recipe uses white/unbleached/bread flour. And authenticity seemed to be desireable, at least the first time I make them. So this morning I made the Honey-Whole Wheat Bread, according to package directions.

I let it rise a bit longer than this, but as you can see, it looks like bread already. TOPWLH commented that he remembered that I used to make bread, but he couldn't remember what we used to do with it. I'm pretty sure we ate it, but that says something about how long it has been. Not counting bread machine bread. Which isn't bad, but isn't really the same deal, either.

I started the whole process about 9 am, I had the finished product cooling on the counter by 1:00 or there abouts. Here's the deal. It's good bread, but it isn't great bread. The crust is a little too crusty. It's a little chewy. We'll eat it, but I probably won't make it again. We had it with left over home made beef stew and boiled potatoes for supper tonight.

Maybe I should have taken some pictures of the beef stew.

6 comments:

Jimi said...

You could try egg salad on the fresh bread. I remember we had school lunches often composed of buns and egg salad (the tuna kind, probably) and your bread seems close enough to that. I'm starting to salivate, Pavlov. TT

GPT said...

Dear sister. I have also been thinking of the buns we used to have as teens. It is a good memory and I believe that I want to take a stab at it myself. What would entice you into sharing the recipe you got from Tula/Rosemary?

Retired Professor said...

GPT -- I forwarded the bun recipe to your g-mail account just a minute ago. If you make them, it would be good if you let Andy or Tula/Rosemary know via Facebook. I'm pretty sure that Andy is on you friends list -- I think I've seen your comments on some of his stuff. Good luck with the buns -- let me know if you do make them.

Gino said...

Good looking bread. Isn't yeast fun?

Retired Professor said...

Gino,

Yes. And I'm developing a taste for the bread. It made good cinnamon toast this a.m.

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I think the collection should acquire more info then it has.