Friday, October 30, 2009

Butternut Squash

This has a lot of similarities to the roasted sweet potatoes that I posted early this month. I've heard somewhere recently that eating lots of colorful vegetables might help stave off the flu. Maybe. I do like orange vegetables, and locally grown fall squashes are plentiful and cheap right now. If I can find a squash that is relatively uniform in size, I like to use those. I start by poking a few holes in it, on all sides, using a very sharp fork, shown below. I then wrap it in a paper towel, put it in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, turn it over and nuke it for another 1 1/2 minutes. This cooks it just enough to be able to cut it more easily.
I cut this one in 8 pieces, having removed the icky stuff with a spoon.

Next I lined a cookie sheet with tinfoil to make clean up easier, and seasoned each piece. I drizzled them with olive oil, mostly so that the seasonings would stick to them. I used seasoned pepper, parsley, rosemary and a little salt. Whatever you like. The rosemary smells great, but has a pretty distinctive taste. You might want to try it on just one section to be sure you like it on your squash.

I used the same cooking process as for the roasted sweet potato recipe. Preheated the oven to 375 degrees, covered the squash with foil for the first 30 minutes or so, removed the foil, and continued baking for another 20 or 30 minutes. Until it passed the fork test. They still felt a little firm at this point, but they were definitely done. I added a little butter to my own serving, and more salt and pepper.

Serve with just about anything -- I've had this with meat-cakes, and liked that flavor combination, so tonight I fried up a little left-over meatloaf to go with it. I also had some leftover broccoli from the first time we ate this meatloaf, so it turned out to be quite a colorful plate.

It may not prevent the flu, but it tasted good on a cold, rainy, blustery night.

2 comments:

T. Tousan said...

I'm trying this one for Saturday night dinner. I'm trying the rosemary, but also some thyme and garlic as spices. TT

Anonymous said...

Thyme is good. And garlic makes anything taste better.

SS