Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

The growing season for tomatoes in St Paul has ended. The end came last night and early this morning with a covering of new snow and temperatures below the freezing point of water. This left me with what is, for me, a bumper crop of unripe tomatoes. So I picked a few and fried up the only tomato delicacy that the old man would eat. There is also a movie with the same name starring Jessica Tandy.

Fried Green Tomatoes

I used two medium size green tomatoes. I sliced them into about quarter inch thick slabs. Then I dipped them into a flour mixture. I used rye flour tonight, but wheat, soy, and rice flours also work. I mixed in black pepper, garlic powder, seasoned salt and paprika. Then I fried them in some really nice olive oil until they were tender and tasty looking. See below.



Served with Creamy Italian dressing and/or catsup. Mustard might work, maybe salsa.

Also a video featuring shots from the movie.

-Jimi

1 comment:

Santini said...

I don't think I've ever eaten fried green tomatoes -- they've just never sounded good to me. They look tasty enough -- the creamy italian sounds like a good touch. Food photos look so ---- appetizing?

A video from the movie? Too clever.