Friday, October 9, 2009

A Stolen Recipe for Three Bean Salad

So if there is going to be a recipe blog, and if I'm sharing the space with Santini, I think I'll start the ball rolling with this three bean salad recipe that I found on the internet using my good friend and associate, google. I modify the ingredients and vary the type (notably black beans and green beans) and number of beans each time I do it. That requires a certain amount of rudimentary math to get the proportions to work. But it's just cooking, and it always seems to work out okay. I have never had to throw any away.

Three Bean Salad Recipe
INGREDIENTS
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

2 celery stalks, chopped fine

1/2 red onion, chopped fine

1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

METHOD
1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.
Serves 4 to 8.

I actually use somewhat lesser amounts of sugar - maybe about 1/6 cup.
I also have experimented with a couple of other spices, notably dill (about 1/2 teaspoon) and it came out well, at least to my taste buds.

Jimi

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

WooHoo! Nice start. It's good to have the recipe on the net, too. Thanks for joining in.