Friday, October 9, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese (and eggs)

For my inaugural post, I think I'll go with a recipe that has family roots. It came from my dad, who assured me that it was a family staple back in the day. It certainly was a fixture in my childhood and I still make it all the time. I've brought it to work several times for lunch and one of my coworkers asked for the recipe. Since it had never actually been written down before, I had to improvise. Here is what I was able to come up with. Feel free to modify as you see fit:

Ingredients:
1 lb rotini pasta
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
3 cups grated other cheese (I usually use a colby jack or something orange)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (or so)
dill (LOTS)
salt & pepper to taste

Note: You'll need a large pot with a a cover that seals well to make sure this turns out ok.

Cooking Instructions:
1. Cook rotini according to package directions in a large pot.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine the egss and milk and beat well, the same as you would for scrambled eggs. Add salt & pepper as you see fit.
3. To the egg mixture, add more dill than you think you could ever possibly need. Seriously, add a lot of dill - it needs to be enough to season the whole dish, not just the eggs.
4. Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain well but DO NOT rinse. Return it immediately to the pot it cooked in and remove from heat. Add the egg mixture and stir around a couple of times to mix well - don't stir too much or you'll end up with scrambled eggs. Cover the pot.
5. Let the pot with the pasta + eggs sit for about 5 minutes so the eggs can cook. Stir once about half way through to make sure the eggs aren't just sitting on the bottom, but resist the urge to check on it a lot - that releases too much heat and the eggs won't cook all the way. No one wants salmonella.
6. Add the cheese to the pasta + egg mixture and stir well. Turn on VERY LOW heat if the pot has started to cool. Re-cover and cook for 5 more minutes or so or until the cheese is all melty and gooey.
7. Enjoy!

Typing this out has made me very hungry for mac. I always have the ingredients in my cupboard if I can help it, so I may need to make it when I get home... Yum!

P.S. - There really is no such thing as too much dill, per the original chef.

6 comments:

Retired Professor said...

No such thing as too much dill?

I just had supper, and I'm hungry again.

Gino said...

Hey, that's MY recipe.

But you did a really nice job of describing the various stages.

Gino said...

Also, I generally make Macaroni and Eggs (with Cheese). As a Macaroni and Eggs dish I often use more eggs and often less cheese. But it is clearly a go with what YOU like kind of recipe.

Retired Professor said...

How many more eggs? The dish we ate as kids was more eggy than cheesy, if I remember correctly. I do like mac and cheese, though. The dill is a huge improvement.

GPT said...

I am glad you all have good memories. I had forgotten the addition of cheese to the mix and had written this dish off as a bad memory. Thank you for correcting the memory and I will have to try it again in this form. WITH LOTS OF DILL.

Anne said...

I will try this recipe sometime but with no dill.. I apologize if this offends the original chef.