Thursday, October 22, 2009

Couscous

There are a lot of versions of couscous, and this one is not typical. This recipe tastes and looks a lot like Spanish rice. I first discovered couscous on a Rachel Ray program, and couldn't believe that it only required 5 minutes of cooking time. WooHoo! I also thought, based on my South Beach Diet book, that because it is a hard milled pasta, it had a lower glycemic index than rice, and thus would have less impact on my blood sugar. A recent Internet search indicated that couscous and white rice both have a glycemic index in the middle range, about 65.

Ingredients:
1 cup of couscous (I recommend the whole wheat variety)
1 can of diced tomatoes (stewed tomatoes also work well)
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic (garlic powder or garlic salt would also work)
1 1/4 cup broth (chicken or vegetable, though water also works)
Salt, pepper, parsley,oregano, basil (optional, or use your favorites)
Enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan

Dice the onion, saute in a medium/large frying pan with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, over a medium high heat until translucent -- about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add (diced) garlic and saute another 2 or 3 minutes. Add the seasonings with the garlic.
Add the canned tomatoes and water, turn the heat back up to medium high, until the liquid comes to a boil. Add the couscous, immediately remove from heat, stir just to mix, and put a lid on the pan. Let it sit, off the heat, for no less than 5 minutes. Do not remove the cover during this time. If the rest of your meal isn't done yet, it doesn't hurt it to sit for 10 or 15 minutes.

Just before serving, remove lid and fluff the couscous with a fork. Voila. This makes enough to serve 6 generously, maybe 8. It keeps well and reheats in the microwave. With all the tomato and onion, you don't really need another vegetable, but it does go well with a green vegetable. I've had broccoli and green beans both alongside it, and tonight we had Stouffers Spinach Souffle. It also goes with just about any kind of meat from fish to sausage to chicken. We had baked chicken breast with it tonight. We're trying to avoid spending a lot of time in public places -- the flu seems to be widespread here, and I'd like to stay healthy if at all possible. So I'm cooking a bit more than usual. (I like to sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top of it.)

4 comments:

Gino said...

You know, I saw the title and for some reason I said to myself has the P-ster published two recipes in a row? I know I have eaten couscous in Michigan but for some reason the association in my mind is with the pie crust publisher.

Daughter of Norway said...

Thanks I guess...I like couscous but my Bro eats it more often than I do! Maybe Sylvia too.

In other words, you're just wrong!

Anonymous said...

LOL.
B

Santini said...

Kels,

See comment on 'Pie Crust.'