Sunday, October 11, 2009

Opal's Apple Crisp

Another family recipe is on the docket today - this time it is one that was handed down from my grandma Opal Elvecrog. It's been a hit every time I make it. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 large apples (I like Granny Smith, but anything crisp/tart works well. Last time I did half Granny Smith, half Braeburn and it turned out ok).
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
8 x 8 pan

Directions:
1) Peel & core the apples. Cut the apples into thin slices and spread evenly over the bottom of the buttered 8x8 pan.
2) Sprinkle with the cinnamon & salt, and then pour the water over that gradually.
3) Rub together the flour, sugar, and 1/3 cup butter until it's crumbly.
4) Drop this mixture over the apples evenly. Sprinkle with a bit of additional cinnamon for garnish.
5) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes

Note: Some brown sugar with the regular sugar is also good, if not from the original recipe. So simple, and yet SO delicious. Also, sometimes it's too salty and sometimes not - the salt is optional, and I'd use less than the recipe calls for.

3 comments:

santini said...

I love apple crisp, and it is apple season in Michigan. I think I'll try this with a honeycrisp apple, and see how it turns out.

Emily M said...

Oooh, I think Honey Crisp apples would be lovely in this. Also, I forgot to mention that you should peel the apples before slicing them. Oops.

Retired Professor said...

Emily -- I added the peeling of the apples to step one for you, though I assumed that step when I first read the recipe. Do you have editing capabilities as an author of the blog?