Thursday, October 29, 2009

Plain Pea or Lentil Soup

A recent addition to my repertoire. It starts with dry split peas or lentils. It's easy enough, but takes an hour or so to complete. Just the thing for another gray day in October.



Ingredients:
1 lb. dry split peas or lentils
8 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper

Directions:
Wash and sort the peas and/or lentils. Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered 35-40 minutes or until peas/lentils are tender. Place two cups of the soup at a time in a blender. Blend until smooth. Repeat until all soup is blended. Add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. Reheat to boiling point and serve with sour cream.



PP also endorses the addition of feta cheese to the warm soup. Empty bowl of soup compliments of PP.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I make lentil soup now and then, but never pea soup. Our recipes sound very similar. I invested in one of those stick blender things so I wouldn't have to use the blender. Thank PP for her visual aid. It's very educational.

Gino said...

Good looking soup, I love pea soup, the addition of lentils is bound to be good. The blender seems like a lot of work though.

Santini said...

Gino,

The recipe is for pea OR lentil soup, not pea AND lentil soup, I believe. The combination might be interesting, though probably of a disgusting color. I do like the blender stick for blending soup in its cooking pot. Available at Target, I believe.

Jimi said...

I have actually made soup from a mixture of peas and lentils and it was quite good. The color wasn't any worse than pea soup. I prefer to think of the blender part of the process as adventure and something to revel in. But that might just be a personal problem. TT