Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cranberry Bread

I went to the St. Paul Farmers' Market on Sunday and there was someone there selling 2 lb bags of cranberries. And larger - 2 lb was the smallest bag you could get. They called out to me so I decided to buy some and make some cranberry bread at Andy's when we were done at the market. I barely made a dent in the bag, but they do freeze well, so I think I'll have lots of cranberry bread in my future.

The original recipe came from a cookbook that my mom got from The Great Flatlands Rider. It has been adapted since then (we don't like nuts in our bread, or zest of any kind) and has become a fixture for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's really my mom's recipe but I've been helping since forever, so I feel ok about posting it here:

Cranberry Bread
"very nutritious"
Ingredients:
2 cups flour (1 cup white, 1 cup wheat)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup halved, raw cranberries (be generous)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup orange juice
1 egg slightly beaten
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbs. vegetable oil

Sift together the first five ingredients (in italics). Stir in cranberries and wheat germ.

In a separate bowl, combine egg, OJ, water, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon into a greased loaf pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn over onto a rack to finish cooling.

10 comments:

Retired Professor said...

After that toasted Velveeta cheese sandwich, something nutritious is a great idea. I've always enjoyed this bread when we were in town at an appropriate holiday.

T. Tousan said...

Just a question. What does 1 cup halved mean? A half cup? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I am curious.

I, too, have enjoyed the finished product. It's good stuff. TT

Emily M said...

TT - Sorry if that isn't clear. It means you cut the cranberries in half before measuring a full cup. I usually do 1 cup plus a few. :-)

Gino said...

Mmmm, mmmm, good.

4.

Santini said...

I gave your Mother a cookbook?

5.

Emily M said...

TGFR - Apparently so. It appears to be older than me though...

6

Gino said...

Seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven, seven.

7.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. For years I thought the cookbook came from Sylvia. I just checked so I could post the title and jog Sylvia's memory. The cover is missing, but inside it says "If you want additional copies fill out the coupon below and mail with your check for $3.95 to St. Paul's Church Cookbook, Dedham, Massachusetts, 02026." Considering the copyright is 1973 and I lived in Dedham at that time, Syliva probably did not give me the cookbook.
BDE

8.

Retired Professor said...

BDE -- Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't denying that it could have been me, but I had no memory of ever giving you a cookbook.

Some of those old church cookbooks are great repositories of historically accurate recipes.

9.

Dame Agatha said...

Gino -- Mmmm,Mmmm, Good? Is that a reference to Campbells Soup?

10.