Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pie Crust


Hi everyone,

This is my oh-so-easy and oh-so-delicious pie crust recipe (I can't claim I invented it, but who can these days?) My mom's mom used to hassle my mom about not making pie crust from scratch, and really once you try it hand made, in my opinion, there's no going back. And since it's pie season let's all give it a try!

For a 2-crust pie (halve this for 1 crust, obviously.)
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2/3 to 1 cup butter
4 to 5 tablespoons of water
Teaspoon of salt (Optional)

It's useful to use a pastry blender, which is pictured above. Otherwise I have used a fork and a potato masher before. Put the flour in a bowl, and cut the butter into a few pieces into the bowl to help speed the blending. Use the blender or whatever to cut the butter into the flour. Add water gradually, until the mixture sticks together but not to your hands. Knead the dough a few times, and think of your loved ones who will enjoy the pie you are making. In other words, knead with love. For 2-crusts, separate dough in half and roll them into the proper size. It's not often the prettiest crust on the block, but it's the most tasty for sure, and that's what matters to me!

4 comments:

Santini said...

Welcome, Kels. Thank you for this recipe, since I requested it. Are there any special tricks to it? If I remember watching you make it at the beach last year, you said the butter should be very cold, and maybe the water, too? It is pie season -- I'll try this soon.

Daughter of Norway said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to more entries:)

I think the butter is ok to use right out of the fridge, but I'm not sure if it matters that much. Water temp. is not a big deal as far as I know, just right out of the tap!

Could you put up your blueberry pie recipe? I still have to make that for my dad for his birthday, otherwise I'll still be a bad daughter.

Sylvia said...

I wasn't quite sure where to put this to be sure you'd see it. :-)

My blueberry pie recipe is still at the beach, but I will be heading out there shortly to pick up some things. I have two recipes, one is a fresh blueberry pie -- unbaked, essentially a tart. The other is a two crust, baked blueberry pie. I assume you want the second one, as fresh blueberries are hard to find right now, and the frozen ones are good. I'll post that one soon. (I can't double post, though. That appears to be against the rules. LOL)

Emily M said...

I would like to report that I just tried out this pie crust recipe for use with my quiche recipe - it was a definite success! Yum!