Saturday, October 24, 2009

Jambalya

As suggested by Jimi, I am finally prepared to share the recipe and method for making my version of Jambalya. I managed to secure a set of photos using my cell camera.

Ingredient list:
1 Stalk Celery, sliced and diced
1/2 large green pepper, diced
1/4 pepper, red, yellow, and gold
1/2 onion, diced
3 chicken tenderloin pieces
1/2 kielbasa sausage
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cups stock and water
1 cup long, white rice
extra virgin olive oil

1. Slice celery stalk into 4 pieces and dice into small pieces.

















2. Cut 1/2 pepper into strips and dice the strips into small pieces

















3. Dice additional red and gold pepper strips.

















4. Dice 1/2 small to medium yellow onion.

















5. Cut chicken tenders into 1 inch pieces. Also cut the kielbasa sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.

















6. The chopped ingredients should look something like this.

















7. The next step is sweating the veggies to extract the flavor. I chose the pan in the picture because it is one of my favorites for this meal. I covered the bottom of the pot with extra virgin olive oil and heated it until hot. I then placed the veggies into the pot and sauteed them for about 5 minutes, sweating them to release the flavor and sugars.

















8. I then put the chopped chicken into the pot and browned it on all sides for about 2 minutes.

















9. I then put the sausage pieces into the pot and heated the mixture.

















10. Once the mixture is heated, add 14 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and chicken stock and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and any other form of spice that you feel needed. Some would add heat inducing ingredients at this point. I do not. I rely on the heat of ground peppercorns, applied liberally. Again it is season to taste. Also add 2 bay leaves.

















11. Allow the pot to simmer for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of long grained white rice to the mix and bring to a boil.

















12. Reduce heat to low and allow rice to finish cooking. Should take about 20 minutes, but check the consistency of the rice by tasting. Season to taste again at this point. When rice is done, remove from heat and serve.

Serving suggestion. Spoon into a low, flat bowl and garnish with a sprig of parsley.

There you have Jambalya. I must confess this recipe came to me from my lady wife but she has assigned it to me for preparation. Maybe it is her way to give my something to do.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Nice post! I'll definitely be trying this one, soon. Just a point of clarification, though. Is it two cups of stock and two cups of water, or two cups total of stock and water?

Nice use of cell phone photos. I have no clue as to how to get my cell phone photos transferred to my computer. The directions on my phone say something about 'blue tooth' or some such thing, and I just don't want to go there. Fortunately, I know how to get my camera photos onto my computer.

GPT said...

Thanks sister. I definitely forgot that clarification. That is 2 cups of liquid of your choice. But not precisely. And I use a "house seasoning" of Canadian Steak Seasoning or sometimes called Montreal Steak Seasoning in a small container next to the range. I use the pinch some and apply method.